Your HVAC system provides essential comfort for yourself and the other inhabitants of your building, whether you use one at home, at your workplace, or at more than one location. However, it’s essential that you take proper care of your HVAC if you expect it to keep working optimally. While a well-maintained HVAC system can keep you comfortable for many years, a neglected one is likely to become more trouble than it‘s worth. For that reason, it is essential to invest the time (and sometimes money) necessary to keep it in ideal shape. When it comes to hiring professionals for help, air duct cleaning services should be near the top of your priority list—depending on a few distinct factors, of course. Below, we’ll teach you how to know when you need air duct cleaning so that you can always make sure you’re fulfilling this crucial responsibility adequately.
First: Why is Air Duct Cleaning Important?
Conscientious HVAC owners need to be mindful of their duct cleaning responsibilities because dirty ducts can create significant problems for them. Ideally, the ducts should always be completely clean so that the air flowing through your system will not be contaminated along the way. When the channels in the system are left uncared for too long, unwanted material including unhealthy dust mites may start to accumulate inside them. At a certain point, it can begin to affect the quality of the air circulating throughout your building and system. Eventually, it may block the passage and prevent air from moving within it entirely.
Five Signs that You need Air Duct Cleaning ASAP
Once the airflow in your HVAC has been impeded or throttled, many undesirable side effects may occur. The following is a list of problems that can be attributed to poor airflow in a ducted HVAC system:
- Whatever air does manage to emanate from your vents may be of questionable quality. Remember that anything in your ducts will alter the air that ultimately moves into your home. As such, you should think about what you want to be breathing in while your HVAC is running. Assuming the answers don’t include dust and dirt, you should take pains to keep the system ducts as clean as possible.
- You might notice a strange smell when you run the HVAC. The materials clogging up your ducts will probably have an identifiable odor, and any air that makes its way into your home will carry the scent of them with it.
- Air may cease to come from your vents entirely. Are you running the HVAC and not experiencing any change to the air in your apartment? It’s quite possible that your efficiency problems are due to a duct backup. Make sure you have them cleaned promptly so that you won’t be paying unnecessarily high utility bills.
- You may experience poor HVAC efficiency. Even if the air is still moving through the ducts and you don’t notice a change in the way it smells or feels, your unit could be working harder than usual. As such, your energy bills are likely to be much higher than they should be, and using your HVAC will cease to be cost-effective.
- It is likely that you will face premature wear and tear. When your HVAC strains and struggles to make air flow through the ducts, sensitive components such as the compressor are more likely to sustain damage. Since a new compressor can cost well over a thousand dollars, this is to be avoided at all costs. Remember a higher than average air conditioning bill means typically bigger costs are coming if you don’t act to make your system efficient again.
When Should You Have Your Ducts Cleaned?
Air duct cleaning services should take place every 1-2 years, depending on the elevation of your building and the surrounding environment. If you live far above sea level, the air near your home will be thinner than if you live near the coast. As such, your air filters will be less effective and will allow more material to pass through and settle in the ducts. People who live in higher regions are therefore advised to have the ducts cleaned every two years or so, while people in lower lying areas can usually wait longer. However, it’s always better to be safe than sorry with something as crucial as duct cleaning, which can be critical to both your health and the condition of your HVAC system.
Hire a Licensed Professional for Your Air Duct Cleaning Services
Duct cleaning should not be undertaken by anyone who does not possess a valid C-20 license. It can be a complex and involved process and must be completed without errors or oversights. Make sure to choose an experienced HVAC service company with a compelling reputation in your local area, so that you can count on them to clean the ducts thoroughly and prevent issues due to airflow problems.