(707) 800-6287 |  Sonoma Napa and Marin Counties

Carbon monoxide poisoning is dangerous and can be fatal. There are many myths about CO and how to detect it in your home, but it is essential to separate the myths from the facts. Detecting CO in your home is important to protect you and your family.

How To Detect Carbon Monoxide in the Air?

Carbon monoxide is present in the air you breathe, and the body even needs some CO. The body can usually handle slightly higher amounts of CO for short periods of time, and it can usually process what it does not need. Carbon monoxide poisoning, however, can be fatal, and it is not easy to detect CO in the air.

Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless and tasteless. It is not possible to smell CO in the air and it does not have a taste. Because it is one of the components in the smoke that comes from burning fuel, it is sometimes thought that you can smell or taste the carbon monoxide in smoke. This belongs to one of the most dangerous myths, because you cannot taste CO and you cannot smell this poisonous gas either. You could be smelling a byproduct from the burning, but you cannot smell the actual carbon monoxide.

Why Install Carbon Monoxide Alarms

Carbon monoxide alarms are important in every home. Modern alarms are reliable in detecting CO in the indoor air. Unlike smoke alarms, CO alarms can be installed at any height in any room. Carbon monoxide weighs approximately the same as air, and the alarm will detect it at any height. The alarms can be even plugged near the floor level, but they must be tested frequently – ideally once a month. Many old CO alarms were models that were often thought to be too sensitive and give false alarms, but new alarms are accurate.

CO alarms should be replaced every 8-10 years. If your carbon monoxide alarm is older than 8-10 years, you need to install a new one. Call us for all of your heating and air conditioning needs, including new CO alarms and tips for installing them in your home.