(707) 800-6287 |  Sonoma Napa and Marin Counties

Carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas that is produced when fuel is burned. Appliances, including gas heaters, fireplaces, wood-burning stoves, space heaters and water heaters are all sources of carbon monoxide. Another source of carbon monoxide is automobile exhaust. Leaving a car running is a garage with the door closed can be a deadly mistake.

Exposure to paint removers with methylene chloride is risky because methylene chloride can turn to carbon monoxide in the body. We are concerned about your safety, so we offer the following tips for avoiding carbon monoxide poisoning.

Install carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors if they are not already installed in your home. Smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors should be installed on each floor of the home near the bedrooms. Make sure the detectors meet Underwriters Laboratory (UL) standards.

Never crank a vehicle in a closed garage and never leave a vehicle running in a garage even with the garage door open. Some newer cars with push button ignition systems run so quietly that a driver may exit the car and fail to turn it off. If you have this type of vehicle, be sure to double-check to make sure you have turned the car off before closing the garage door.

Never use a generator inside of a home or in a confined space. Generators are designed to run outside where there is plenty of fresh air.

Charcoal and gas grills are designed for outdoor use. Never cook on a charcoal or gas grill in the house and when cooking outside, keep grills away from open doors and windows.

When using a space heater, make sure the area where the heater is located is well-ventilated.

Always use the proper fuel for your heater. For example if you stove is designed to burn wood, do not burn coal in the unit.

Have chimneys and heating systems inspected before you need to use them. In most climates, late summer or early fall would be a good time to have your heating system checked. This includes gas and oil furnaces.

When burning a fireplace, keep the flue open and wait until the fire is completely out before closing the damper.

We hope these tips forĀ  avoiding carbon monoxide poisoning are useful. For help with keeping your heating and cooling systems safe and in good working condition, give us a call today.